Return to Health Matters
Indulgent Chocolate Cashew Ice Cream
If you are joining the growing throngs of plant based diet followers, or cutting down on sugar but missing a cooling summery treat, try our deliciously creamy cashew ice cream – the perfect way to finish off any meal, or just because!
Cashew nuts have a lovely, subtle nutty taste, and when soaked and blitzed up they create a wonderfully creamy texture.
They are abundant in monounsaturated fats and, like olive oil, are rich in oleic acid. They are also a brilliant source of copper, magnesium, zinc and manganese.
Intensely sweet but with a Glycaemic Index of only 7, ZyloSweet makes a great alternative to sugar, especially for those working to keep blood sugar levels stable or for weight maintenance.
- 140g cashew nuts – whole or broken
- 200ml water
- 35g ZyloSweet
- 25g good quality cocoa powder
- Put the cashew nuts into a bowl and pour over the water. Leave to soak overnight. This makes them deliciously creamy.
- Add the ZyloSweet to the bowl and stir until it has dissolved.
- Add the cashew and ZyloSweet mixture to a high speed blender – one for smoothie making is ideal.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, adding a little more water if required.
- Pour into a freezer-suitable container – we re-used one of our Hemp Protein tubs – and pop into the freezer.
- After 30 minutes or so, check the ice cream and give it a quick stir with a fork to break up any ice crystals. Check occasionally and repeat until too set to do so.
- Once frozen, the ice cream will need to be taken out of the freezer to soften for 20 minutes before serving.
- Perfect served on its own, or try adding summer berries for a fruity twist.